Posted by Brad J. Ward | Posted in Conferences, Higher Education, Marketing, Recruitment, YouTube | Posted on 11-09-2007
So day 1 is over with, and it was a pretty good start to the conference. Again, I don’t get nearly as much from the presentations as I do from talking with people, so tonight’s networking reception and the events taking place afterwards were total brain food for me.
We did hear some good presentations today. Here are a few of my notes/takeaways:
- Don’t just think outside of the box, DO outside of the box.
- More kids are homeschooled (~1.2 million was the stat, I believe), than private/charter schools combined. I think this could certainly be considered an untapped market for most institutions.
- We need to invest in ideas that will get exposure.
- Become as good at narrowcasting as you are at broadcasting.
- Make the goal engagement, not exposure.
Spent most of the night talking shop with a good mix of crowds. Special shout outs to Matt and Obie, looking forward to talking to these guys more in the future. As usual, I have so many ideas running through my head, just struggling with getting the buy-in/resources I need to make them a reality. Just gotta keep trying.
Tomorrow’s schedule looks pretty good as well. Topics covered will be Video/YouTube, Myspace, Facebook, Brand/Print/Web, Interactive Technology, Keywords/Coding and Analytics/ROI.