Posted by Brad J. Ward | Posted in Higher Education, Thoughts | Posted on 01-26-2009
Alright, I’m going to need your help for this post. As I prepare to leave Butler, I really want to make a smooth transition for the next person to be the E-Comm Coordinator.
Too often it seems that in a period of transition, all is lost and the new person must start over. If we are doing all of this research, data-collecting, forecasting, etc. shouldn’t it be utilized by the next person? Truth is that I didn’t do the best job at transitioning at UIS [Sorry, Jeremy... ] and I want to leave more behind so the next person can hit the ground running with our web-based / social media efforts.
So here’s where you come in… give me your tips and advice in the comments on things you wish the person before you had done or you plan on doing for the person after you.
Here’s my current plan:
- Back up all work files onto an external harddrive.
- Include README file with my email address for any questions about the files.
- Organize data in folders (Email Images, Data/Research, Campus Photos, Login Information, etc.)
- Clean up computers under my username so that there is maximum space available on the hard drives
- Make sure the Bloggers know who to contact in the interim
- Get all Twitter/Google stuff that I did under my emails (stupid!) to new accounts and ready for next person
And a few little reminders for myself:
- Deactivate my account on iTunes (only 5 computers, Apple? Seriously?)
- Clear my saved information (passwords, etc.) from Firefox
- Clean my old leftovers from the fridge and get tupperware
- Tidy up a bit. Leave some artwork on the walls.
Alright, leave a comment/tip/worst transition ever story/suggestion/idea/thought below!